Our regular application deadline is January 1st. If you are interested applying to Putney on a rolling basis for the 2019-20 academic year, please fill out an inquiry form and we will be in touch.
If you’ve begun an application via Veracross and need to retrieve it, you can log in here.
Please note: We do not accept the TABS common application.
Please submit the following items with your application:
- A student profile questionnaire
- School transcripts
- Four student essays in response to questions on the application form
- Three brief parent essays in response to questions on the application form
- Two teacher recommendations—one from a current English/Humanities teacher and one from a Math/Science teacher
- A school report from your principal or guidance counselor
- Personal recommendations (optional)
- Standardized Test scores: We require that 9th and 10th grade applicants take the Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT) as part of the application to The Putney School. 11th and 12th grade applicants may submit PSAT or SAT scores in lieu of the SSAT. Use Putney’s school code, 5950, when instructing where your test results should be sent.
- Any psychological/educational testing reports (email separately as attachments or send as hard copies)
- If you are applying for financial aid, please apply through the School and Student Services platform (https://sssbynais.force.com) and work to complete your application by the January 1st deadline. You will likely be able to provide actual documentation only for your prior year taxes and will make your best estimates of your most recent taxes. We make all financial aid offers contingent upon final review of your most recent taxes.
- Application fee ($25 for both domestic and international applicants)
- A personal interview is also required. Prospective students are strongly encouraged to visit on a school day so that they have the opportunity to tour campus and connect with students and teachers. Students who are unable to visit campus may request a Skype interview after completing their application. Please contact the Admission Office to arrange a visit or schedule an interview.
- Begin inquiry process: Complete our Inquiry Form.
- Schedule an interview: Contact us at (802) 387-6219 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Register to take the Secondary School Admissions Test (SSAT- dates here) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), if necessary.
- Attend our Admission Open House on October 20th and find out about Putney School by connecting with current students, faculty, and parents.
- Visit campus and experience a class, go on a tour, and interview with a member of our Admission team.
- Request recommendations, transcripts, and school reports from your current school.
- Take the SSAT or TOEFL test as necessary (see above).
- Work on your application.
- Submit application and all supplemental materials by January 1st. A complete description of our application requirements can be found above on our Application Checklist.
- Submit all materials for consideration of Financial Aid by January 1st. For more information about Financial Aid, please click here.
|Sept 10 – Dec 14, 2018||On-campus visits and interviews available (contact us to schedule)|
|October 20, 2018||Admission Open House|
|January 1, 2019||Application & Financial Aid Deadline|
|March 10, 2019||Admission decision notification|
|April 3, 2019||Revisit Day for admitted students*|
|April 10, 2019||Enrollment contracts due|
* Revisit Day is an opportunity for accepted students to return to take another look at Putney before deciding to enroll. Formal invitations will be mailed after March 10th. Click here to view the full school calendar. Please don’t hesitate to be in touch with the Admission Office by phone (802) 387-6219 or email email@example.com.
The Putney School welcomes applications from home schooled students. We ask all homeschooled applicants lacking a complete transcript from an umbrella organization to complete a portfolio worksheet so that we might accurately assess academic achievement and potential. Please contact us if you need more information about applying as a homeschooled student.