You must be accepted by The Putney School before you can apply for an F-1 visa. After acceptance, there are several steps to obtaining this visa:
- You must submit your signed enrollment contract and pay the enrollment deposit (5% of tuition).
- You must send financial documentation that demonstrates your family’s ability to pay the costs of your US education. A bank letter is the best documentation, showing that sufficient funds are in the account to support you. A bank statement is also acceptable. Conversion to US dollars is very helpful.
- Return to us the completed I-20 Information Form and a photocopy of your passport.
- We will issue you an I-20 form, which is a US government form. You will use the I-20 form when you apply for your visa at the United States Consulate or Embassy in your country.
- You must make an appointment to apply for the visa at the United States consulate nearest to you. There is an application form, a fee, and an interview as part of this process.
- If for some reason your visa application is denied, please contact us immediately. We can often provide additional documentation or support when you re-apply.
The Putney School will issue an I-20 for each year the student is enrolled at Putney.
When you arrive at Putney, we’ll store your immigration documents in a safe place, and keep copies in case they are ever lost or damaged.